According to local history, the lordship of Dyffryn Clwyd was given to the Grey family in 1282 after the defeat of Llywelyn effectively ending the principality of North Wales.
Up to 1400 the history of the castle had little to note.
Accommodation List Bathafarn Hall Touring Caravan Site Eyarth Station B&B Firgrove Country House B&B Parc Farm Static Caravan Park Plas Efenechtyd Cottage B&B Ruthin Castle Hotel Sarum House B&B The Old Rectory Clocaenog B&B Three Pigeons Inn Camping & Apartments Tyddyn Chambers B&B Tyddyn Isaf (Self Catering) Woodlands Hotel Advertise your Hotel etc here for Free The historical town of Ruthin is situated in North Wales with its origins in the 13th century.
This is what was said of the town by Samuel Lewis in A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849: "A borough, a market and assize town, a parish, and the head of a poor-law union, in the hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh; 8 miles (SE by S) from Denbigh, and 210 miles (NW by W) from London. This parish and that of Llanrhud, which were originally one, are bounded on the south by the parish of Llanfair, east by the same and that of Llanarmon yn Ial, west by Llanfwrog, and north by Llanbedr. The surface is beautifully diversified, the eastern part of Llanrhud embracing a portion of the Clwydian hills, and the western part of Ruthin the meanderings of the river Clwyd, with the fertile and luxuriant meadows on its banks. The agricultural produce is equally rich and abundant, yielding fine crops of wheat, barley, oats, potatoes, and turnips, together with grass and hay." Ruthin Castle, a baronial castle ordered to be built by Edward I, around 1277, was largely constructed in 1282.
Nearby attractions include Veddw House (two acres of ornamental gardens and two acres of woodland), the Hidden Gardens & Grottoes of Dewstow (approximately 7 acres of gardens and landscapes, Wyndcliffe Court (built in 1922 and a superb example of an Arts and Crafts Garden), Tintern Abbey (12th century Cistercian abbey) and Caldicott Castle (14th century).
Alternatively, you may wish to attend the biennial Chepstow Festival of open-air theatre at the castle (under a a 350m² 8m high canopy).
One of the town's impressive medieval buildings, the old courthouse, or manor courthouse, was the site of the principal court of the Lordship of Dyffryn Clwyd.
Built in the early years of the fourteenth century with cells for prisoners in the basement area, the remains of the scaffold can still be seen projecting from the eaves.
Chepstow Castle © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales Welcome to historic Chepstow in the Lower Wye Valley.
This mediaeval town boasts an impressive castle dating from the 11th century which stands on a spectacular spot high on the cliffs above the River Wye and it is considered by some to be the oldest surviving stone castle in Britain.